Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Welcome to My First Blog Entry!

Welcome, my name is Colleen K Carrigan and as a naturalist/artist, I have devoted many years to animal behavior studies and nature observations. I thoroughly enjoy producing OSWOA (Original Small Works of Art) and art cards - ACEO's - (Art Cards - Editions and Originals) miniature treasures trade card size 2.5'' x 3.5''.



Here is one of my recent watercolor and ink paintings. I generally begin with a sketch.







Then, after transferring the image to watercolor paper (making alterations as needed) - ink is added over the outline using a Pigma Micron 02 archival ink pen. These pens work wonders - and don't blend when a wash is added moments later. I start with a background wash then add layers of color. I love rich vibrant hues and often under paint areas where red results with shades of yellows to brighten the reds. This painting had a couple of changes from the sketch - the palm fronds were moved slightly and the horizon was raised to enhance the contrast between the darker water and the dolphin's splash.


"Sunset Palm 'n' Dolphin"

This 4"x6" OSWOA is available in my Coral2Cove eBay Gallery.



For all the listings this week checkout - Coral2Cove Gallery


My Website: Coral2Cove


Follow me on Twitter





2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I like that you show your work in progress =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathleen! I'm enjoying the process too. Plus blogging is soooo fun : )

    ReplyDelete